Gudi Padwa Special
Festival time is a time when caution is thrown to the winds. But if you are diabetic and have to watch what you eat, try this Diabetic Friendly Maharashtrian style Puran Poli. By adding Stevia Brown in place of sugar / jaggery, you are lessening the calories and no one will notice any change of taste. Celebrate Gudi Padwa with galore!
Ingredients for filling (Puran):
Ingredients for dough (Poli):
2 cups flour
Water to knead
Ghee for rolling the Puran Poli
- Knead the dough, cover and keep aside.
- Pressure cook the Chana Dal with sufficient water. Once cooked, retain some of the water.
- Add ghee to a heavy bottomed pan. Add the Chana Dal and stir for a minute. Add the Cardamom (Elaichi) and Stevia Brown and mix well. Cook for about 10 minutes. If the mixture seems dry, add a little water that was saved from cooking the dal in step 2. Alternatively, you can add a little milk.
- Pass the mixture through a medium sized sieve to get a smooth paste.
- Heat the girdle.
- Pinch a lemon sized piece of dough. Dig your thumb through the middle and fill with puran. Close the ends of the dough securing the filling inside.
- Lightly press the prepared dough between your palms. Brush with ghee on both sides.
- Roll the dough using a rolling pin till it form a circle of desired thickness.
- Put the puran poli on the girdle and cook on both sides.
- Serve hot.